History
Missions
Diocesan Directory
Diocesan Bulletin
Bishop´s Letters
Diocesan Synod 2014
Diocesan Plan 2010
Pastoral Centres
Seminary
Associations
News
Others Links

 

KAMATIVI

As far as 1940 Fr. Joseph Ebert used to visit the first settlement of people in what is now Kamativi in his way to and from some schools among the Batonga People. Over the years these visits became regular. The Priests from St. Mary’s were visiting Kamativi once a month to have Mass for the Europeans in private houses and for the Africans in the Methodist School in the African Village

Kamativi Tin Mine was a growing mining centre that needed a greater pastoral attention than the one it could receive as an out-station of St. Mary´s. The need was felt to build a church to accommodate the growing catholic congregation and a school to provide education for the many children who could not find a place in the existing Methodist School. 

In 1959 the church was built, dedicated to St. Theresa of Lisieux, patroness of the missions.  The church building was used as class rooms for two standards and with two teachers. The following year new buildings for the school were started until eventually it was able to provide complete primary education.

Fr. Ferdinand Villarejo was the first resident priest. The priest’s house was completed by the end of 1960. In the new parish were many Nyanja speaking Christians.  It is worth to note (considering the colonial restrictions and prejudices of that time) that in the new church Africans and Europeans attended Mass together, something which was not common.
               

Fr. John Chesa took over in 1964. He wrote for the magazine of the Holy Family of the time: “Though small, Kamativi is a prosperous mine, There are 90 Europeans and over 1000 African employees. Our Catholic Congregation is made out of 40 Europeans and over 550 Africans.”  During his time the church building was expanded with two wings to make the shape of a cross and give better accommodation to the growing community.
               

Fr. Angel Pagés (1967- 1971) was succeeded by Fr. Emmanuel Yáñez  (1971 1976). When he left (retired) there was no possibility of keeping a resident priest and Kamativi was served from Dete.

Fr. Johannes Alarcia (nicknamed at Kamativi “Fr. Western”) combined the out centers of Dete with Kamativi for one year.  Sr. Tecla Takaza, and occasionally some other sisters and novices of the CMFC started to take part in some pastoral activities.
The conditions of the liberation straggle had a bearing in the following appointments of priests to serve Kamativi. Kariyangwe Mission had been closed and from 1977 to 1980.

Fr. Máximus Gumbo and Fr. Joshua del Barrio resided in and served Kamativi while taking care of the affairs of Kariyangwe. The situation lasted until the independence and then, again Kamativi had to be served from Dete:  This time by the Priest in the Minor Seminary.               

From 1980 Fr. Angel Floro and later Fr. James Planells took care of Kamativi until in 1986 the Mission of Accompaniment (Toledo USA), which had started in Binga came to Kamativi.  Frs. Mike Tremmer , Mike Shoenhoffer,  Tim Kummer, Tom and Chris, Srs. Marge and Julita and  the lay missionaries Julie, Catherine and Kim were to serve this community until 1991.
In view of the difficulties to send a resident priest the Bishop decided to appoint Sr. Prisca Chimbote CMFC to be in charge of the parish for administrative and pastoral tasks (1990-2001). The priests of the seminary (Frs. John Mudereri and Mathias Sibanda [1995-1996]) would take care of the sacramental and priestly side.

1999-2001 Fr. Noel Byrne

2006- 2009 Fr. Francis Beloki NGUNI

Oct 2009 Fr. Jabulani Nyoni

April 2012; Fr. Linos Dube

       Optimizado para iexplorer 800x600                              © 2014 Diocesis of Hwange